This post contains affiliate links.
Today I’m sharing a recipe. Hooray recipes!
My very favorite side dishes are the ones that I can prep and stick in a pot or a pan then forget about for 45 minutes while I prepare the main dish. Bonus meal idea: side dishes AND main dishes that I can prep and forget. Why haven’t more of those been invented?
But I digress.
Fried peppers and onions are one of my favorite prep and forget side dishes because they take very little effort but provide a tasty little addition to pretty much any type of meal. I often serve this with tacos, but it also goes really well with Spanish omelet too.
- 1 medium onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 red peppers seeded and sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves (click here to get $10 off your first order at Vitacost!)
- sea salt
- Melt the butter and olive oil together in a pan.
- Add peppers and onions, cooking over low heat for at least 30 minutes, or until peppers are very soft.
- Add garlic, basil leaves, and salt and cook for a few more minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Please know that if you make a purchase using some of the links on this page, I may earn a commission and I am very grateful for your support of this site. Thank you!