One of the more exciting parts of our trip last week included a hike up to a waterfall near our cabin. We thought it would be pretty straightforward as the description of the hike said that the falls were easy to get to, though we’d have some water to wade through. This description wasn’t entirely accurate as the area where the falls were was easy to get to, but the falls themselves were located in a rock crevasse that required more than just a little stroll through a shallow, calm stream. This was relatively fast-moving (though not deep) water and the rocks weren’t spaced closely, so as we essentially crawled over the rocks, clinging to the sides of the rock faces when we had the opportunity as we made our way to the back of this narrow opening. The falls themselves (itself? is that really plural?) were hardly anything to write home about (though I bet it would be neat to see in the winter when everything is frozen), but getting to where we could actually see them without falling in was a great feeling, especially for E who did a fantastic job with B on his back in the Kelty carrier (did I mention we picked it up on Craigslist for $40? what a fantastic find!).
Here are links around the internets that caught my eye this week for your leisurely weekend.
- 35 things I’ve learned in my 35 years – I’ll be 32 in less than a month and I doubt I’d come up with even half of these things. Maybe in 3 years, I’ll have more self-confidence? 🙂
- Confidence in a home-cooked meal. – This is one of the follow-up posts to the “Entitlement is not what I’m going for” post I linked to a few weeks ago. I love, love, love this one in particular as it exemplifies how I would like us to raise B. I’d love to see that sense of pride on his face when he knows he’s contributed to the family.
- 10 Easy Steps to Turn Any Recipe Into a Real Food Recipe – I think these are fantastic. Flour is a tough one as traditional recipes don’t convert well with nut flours, but you can usually find a good alternative recipe to whatever it is you’re wanting.
- The 80/20 Rule of Healthy Eating: Why Follow It and Reasons to Live by It – I love this. 100% of it. 🙂
- Make Your Computer More Self-Sufficient This Weekend – I really need to implement some of these suggestions. I haven’t backed my computer up since the beginning of the year. 😐 And by writing that down, I’m just asking for something to happen.
The desktop wallpaper for September is coming. E went out of town this week and B is having sleep problems which means I had zero free time this week. I really should prepare them ahead of time like a good blogger. Maybe someday I’ll be a good blogger. 🙂