Looking for a simple and gentle Charlotte Mason-Style Kindergarten Curriculum?
If you’re looking for a gentle and living Charlotte Mason Homeschool Kindergarten Curriculum that bridges the gap between the passive receptive years of early childhood and the beginning of your child’s academic life, you’re in the right place!
Does any of this sound familiar?
I have always been of the mindset that it was better to wait on “school things” for my son, following a better-late-than-early approach. I didn’t push him to start reading at an early age or tried to force any kind of structured preschool program on him and was quite happy with those decisions. When he turned six in August of 2016, I wanted to do something more “official” with him that fall, but I didn’t think he was quite ready for any Charlotte Mason Year 1 curricula I could find. So, I started to look around for some kind of alternative.
If anyone else reading this has tried searching for a good Charlotte Mason Kindergarten curriculum, you’ll know that it can be pretty frustrating…
You find a beautiful book list for the kindergarten year, but no idea how to implement it on a weekly basis.
You find a kindergarten curriculum that looks great on paper but ends up being more intense than even a typical Year 1 week would or has so many books that there’s no way if would fit in your budget.
You find a kindergarten curriculum that claims to be Charlotte Mason but has some pretty questionable book selections.
What if you could…
…have a complete curriculum with a book list, tips and suggestions for subjects to include and how to include them, supply lists, term overviews, and four days per week for nine months of school all laid out for you?
The Charlotte Mason-Inspired Kindergarten Curriculum
My original impetus for creating this curriculum was the fact that my son’s birthday falls in August and as we prepared for his sixth birthday, I didn’t think he was quite ready for first grade. However, I did feel that he was ready for something a little more structured than what we had been doing ﹣ though nothing too rigorous as is the case with most kindergarten classes these days ﹣ which is why I began to determine how to work out my own “educational principles.” And that is how this curriculum was born.
That year, we spent our days being exposed to beautiful ideas by reading books together, playing simple math games (as well as counting and coloring together), developing relationships with the natural world through observation, and making handicrafts together. All of this while also allowing plenty of time for him to spend outside every day. Nothing was rigorous or demanding for either one of us and we were able to ease ourselves gently not only into the world of “school” for him, but also into the world of homeschooling for both of us.
Here is what you get:
- a book list including both modern and classic living books as well as free read ideas.
- Morning Time tips, with information about why Morning Time can be helpful, a sample of what we did during our own Morning Time, and ideas for how to implement it.
- supply lists, including everything you’ll need for the science projects, math activities, and handicrafts over the course of the year as well as broken down each week. I included this because it is one thing that always keeps me from being more efficient in my homeschooling. I find that if I have all of the supplies I need before a term, or even before a week starts, I’m much more likely to do them rather than scrambling around at the last second to get everything together!
- term overview schedules with books and activities listed for history, geography, nature study, science, literature, poetry, math, and handicrafts.
- weekly schedules. I have gone through the term overview schedules and broken them down day-by-day for each week, so you have 36 weeks of 4-day schedules (with a nature study hike scheduled for Fridays) already laid out for you! The only thing you need to do is pre-read and you’re set!
This curriculum is for you if:
- You’re looking for an open-and-go curriculum full of living books and activities for you and your child to experience together.
- You want to introduce your five- to six-year-old to the academic world gently while still allowing them plenty of unstructured time to play and be outdoors.
- You feel that education comes from exposing children to beautiful and inspiring ideas through living books that allow them to develop relationships with those ideas.
This curriculum is NOT for you if:
- You’re looking for a curriculum that includes lots of worksheets and other types of busy work.
- You feel a typical kindergarten schedule should take most of the day.
- You want a curriculum that includes a lot of unit studies.
Let me introduce myself!
I’m Rebecca, the mom behind the curriculum. I have been homeschooling my two children using Charlotte Mason’s principles since 2016, which was the same year I developed this guide. Ms. Mason first came into my world in 2013 after I had explored other educational philosophies and I knew immediately that this was what I wanted for my family. I enjoy the freedom found in a Charlotte Mason education and the fact that it not only nourishes the minds, hearts, and souls of my children but mine as well.
I currently living in Colorado with my husband, our two children, three cats, and whatever bug pets my kids have adopted. I have a degree in art history and find joy in being able to offer art-related resources to homeschooling families as well as this kindergarten curriculum!
What does a typical Charlotte Mason Homeschool Kindergarten day look like?
A typical “school day” using this curriculum as it is written is only about 45 minutes long, including Morning Time, and generally looks like this:
- poetry and songs every day
- Math time (and I’ve laid out the entire MEP Reception Math year for you!)
- one to two readings and/or activites chosen from history, geography, literature, science, or nature study
- one handicraft per week
- time for copywork every day
The beauty of this curriculum is that you can truly make it yours. If you find a book that you’ve either read before and don’t want to read again, feel free to substitute it (and I do offer suggestions for substitutions in a few subjects in the book as well)! If there’s a part of the curriculum that you don’t want in there, leave it out! Use this as a framework from which to build your own, unique kindergarten year that fits your family’s needs.
What others are saying…
Amazing and well thought out curriculum. It’s sweet and beautiful and fun! Hands-down, I recommend this product. It’s very easy to customize it to your child’s strengths, hobbies and interest! I’m so grateful for this package!
Heather Elder26 August 2018
Great product, very comprehensive overview and reasoning for choices made and allowed for flexibility within the curriculum. Any questions were answered really quickly and resolved via email promptly and politely. Rebecca has been most helpful during the purchasing process and I’m very happy with the layout and book choices.
Jem Schouten5 January 2019
We are beginning our journey in Charlotte Mason and homeschooling and I absolutely love how Reb has pulled together such a beautiful curriculum. Even if we only get through half of it, it is so rich and full. Such a feast. Thanks, Reb for all of your hard work with this and for passing it on. Well done.
Rachelle G.24 January 2019
We are so excited to use this valuable resource for our son next year. It’s full of good resources, excellent advice and solid encouragement. It’s also organized in an easy to understand manner!!
Lara C.1 April 2019
Looking at the Ambleside book list gave me anxiety. I had no idea how to make sense of it or make “it” happen. I am SO thankful for this taste of the structure of Ambleside for my very bright kinder. It is thoughtful, informative, and well laid out- whether you’re type B like me or type A.
Brittany14 August 2019
I’m a first-time homeschooling mom and I’m so glad I got this curriculum for my kindergartener! Everything is so thoughtfully laid out and she goes above and beyond with tips, recommendations, and alternatives to the wonderful books suggested for this curriculum. For me it was a great, budget friendly choice for kindergarten curriculum. I work remotely part-time and also have a toddler and this “open and go” is going to be perfect. The only prep I’ve had to do is put bookmarks in books…and she also sends you bookmarks as a thank you!!
Angelina S.13 August 2020
This curriculum has been such a blessing. We decided to homeschool this year due to the pandemic, and I am loving the time that I get to spend with my kindergartener. He’s learning so much, and I’m so appreciative of the thoughtfulness put into this curriculum. It encompasses everything that we need – art, poetry, nature study, science, reading, literature, and much more. I was lost in the multitude of options out there for homeschooling, and this has been a breath of fresh air.
Toni E.6 October 2020
I absolutely love using this curriculum with my 6 year old twin boys, it is just what I was searching for to set us in the right direction.
Sonrisa H.10 February 2021
I was hesitant to purchase at first, because although I loved the look of the content, I am from Australia and thought it might be too difficult to implement into our curriculum here. But I found myself in the same boat as a few here, my son wasn’t quite ready for AO 1 after purchasing the book list and I didn’t want him to become frustrated and dislike home school. I went ahead with this purchase and I am very glad I did! It’s simple and straightforward to follow, unlike some other curriculum’s I looked at in the past. I didn’t need more thinking, this was perfect and I have used most of the books suggested too for extra learning this year! It’s actually been very helpful to the start of the year with a new baby and health problems, I’ve just added a few extra things to cover Aussie curriculum. And Bec has been helpful and responsive to emails. Thank you!
Bec L.30 March 2021
Finally, if you have any questions at all about the curriculum, feel free to contact me and I’m happy to help however I can!