This month’s Once A Month Mom menus are out and as I did last month, I’m posting my version here. I actually didn’t get around to making any of it in May (except the banana blueberry muffins…but they were eaten before they could be frozen :)) as life was pretty hectic with E’s travel schedule, but I have hopes for June (he’s only gone the first week)! We’re doing somewhat of a modified no-spend month and once-a-month cooking could either fit in with that really well, or not fit into it at all. I guess we’ll see if we actually get around to doing it. 🙂
Notes: We are gluten-free (almost to the point of being grain-free) but definitely not dairy-free, so we choose to do the whole foods menu with modifications rather than the gluten-free/dairy-free menu.
Blueberry Cinnamon Rolls– These look amazing, but have flour in them, so they’re out. These almond flour cinnamon rolls would be a great substitute.
- Honey Yogurt Berry Pops – Definitely including these! They look amazing!
- Kale, Bacon and Cheese Breakfast Casserole – Another keeper, except I’d substitute butter for the olive oil.
- Chicken Salad with Apricots – Definitely a yes – I love chicken salad and I’m intrigued by the use of yogurt instead of mayonnaise. I’d just use the NT crispy almonds instead of the toasted almonds. These could also easily be served on the lettuce as a whole salad rather than with the bread.
- Crunchy Coconut Chicken – Keeping this as well, but substituting almond flour for the Panko crumbs.
- White Pizza with Kale – This is also a keeper, but I’m running into a dilemma with the crust. Against the Grain makes a gluten-free/grain-free pizza crust, but I haven’t been able to find that particular item in this area. Other options would be the Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Pizza Crust or this recipe for an almond flour crust.
- Roasted Garlic Mac and Cheese – Another dish that looks amazing! I’ll use brown rice pasta instead of semolina pasta and arrowroot instead of flour.
- BBQ Short Ribs – Perfect the way it is. I have some short ribs in my freezer that I’ve been wanting to use, so this is perfect.
Lemon Ravioli and Summer Squash– This one is out because I’m not sure how to make gluten-free ravioli (I know Conte makes some, but some of the ingredients are questionable and it’s not very tasty) and I don’t like summer squash. Bacon Crusted Pork Tenderloin– This one is out because I don’t have a pork tenderloin in the freezer. Otherwise, I’d make this with almond flour instead of the Panko crumbs.
- Southwestern Skillet with Cornbread – For this one, the cornbread recipe listed would be replaced by a gluten-free version (I really like the southern skillet version from the America’s Test Kitchen Cookbook), the black beans would be soaked overnight before they were cooked, and the corn would be omitted. I’ll probably also just use diced tomatoes rather than diced tomatoes with chiles.
- Coconut Curry Kebabs – These are out as I don’t have any pork ribs.
I really like this menu as I can make the majority of the meals and already have the meat. Hopefully I actually get around to doing it this month!